[haiku-development] Re: Do we need a webstore for HaikuDepot to replace HaikuWare?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 13:53:09 +0200

Am 01/05/2015 um 23:33 schrieb Pete Goodeve:

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 07:52:11PM +0000, Earl Pottinger wrote:
What do I do with my programs that are zip files?

You just repackage them. It's actually pretty simple, and so much nicer for your users.
The more interesting issue is, however, where to put them. And that one hasn't been solved yet AFAIK. An alternative repository is a role Haikuware could have adopted, but Karl's plans were apparently something else.

Yep... (:-/)

I didn't hear about Haikuware's disappearance until Richie's post,
and I was getting close to putting together an update of MusicWeaver
to post on that site!

A zip archive is perfectly adequate for the package, because it
is entirely self contained -- just one required/included library to
handle common functions of its modules. And it doesn't care
in the least where it is unpacked.

We have a big hole ATM.

The solution to this "big hole" were supposed to be application bundles, that were already part of the initial package manager plans.

They just haven't been implemented yet (obviously no one cared enough). Patches welcome, as always.

Bye,
Axel.