[haiku-development] Distributed Version Control Tools (was Re: EDID Common Accelerant Fixes)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:54:09 -0400

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why git? Have you guys looked into monotone?

The choice of Git is not at all a project-level decision, just
something I have personally been thinking about for my Haiku
development.

I do not know much about monotone, but based on a quick read of their
homepage, it sounds interesting. But I haven't really heard about it
much on the blogosphere, whereas Git and Mercurial seem to be getting
a lot of attention, and Bazaar to a lesser extent. So far I have
really only taken the time to learn about Git, but I am totally sold
on the concept of distributed version control systems (which all the
the above are.)

It is kind of frustrating that after so many years of dealing with CVS
(which was pretty bad) and Subversion (quite a bit better than CVS,
but still with problems) we now have this glut of open source version
control systems. At least they all are distributed, which as I said
seems to be the way to go in the future, especially for open source
development.

But the problem comes when you realize the point of these tools is to
work with others, and by choosing a more "popular" tool you have a
greater chance that people will have heard of it or are familiar with
it. Even if another tool is arguably better, if it doesn't have the
popularity you may make it more difficult for other people to work
with you.

Of course I say this as someone who joined the Ruby community in 2001,
long before it was "cool" because of Ruby on Rails. Then of course
there is Haiku, which is certainly a small minority group (at this
point at least...I think eventually it will blow up as much as or more
than the Ruby community.)

But I think the choice of a version control system is a different
issue than choosing to be in smaller open source communities.

So far Git seems nice, it is used by a lot of the projects I care
about: many up-and-coming Ruby projects, Rails is moving to it, and
WebKit has a Git mirror repo as well. Then there are github.com and
gittorius.org, which make it even nicer.

Maybe once my "honeymoon" with Git is over, I will try to look at
other tools. But I want to use it for a while, see the good and bad
points, and then look at alternatives if I feel motivated.

Ryan