[haiku-development] Re: Discussing GSoC 2015 Ideas

  • From: "Chase Rayfield" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cusbrar2@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:52:24 +0000 (UTC)

I looked at Minecraft awhile back... the main thing missing is ljwgl and maybe
a few other libraries... probably more now since its gotten a bit more bloated
than it used to be but all in all it is mainly libraries at this point.

     On Sunday, January 25, 2015 5:09 PM, Augustin Cavalier
<waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Andrew Hudson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think Haiku 64-bit apps are absolutely perfect for GSOC and there are several
ways to approach them. Each applicant accepted could start with a porting basic
app, there are a number that Scott has listed in Haiku Ports. The student could
start with one app, get it ported to Haiku B1, build a recipe, get it on
HaikuDepot, do the same for Haiku 64-bit. And then start their project as a
whole. Some students might just want to work on ports all summer. If they
ported one or two apps a week, that would be amazing, and also excellent GSOC
experience. Can you imagine the benefit to the Haiku community as a whole?
That's a huge benefit to the Haiku community as a whole.

As I said before, this is not hard at all, and does not consume much time. As a
"community bonding" task yes, as a real project no.

Regarding Blender - I don't think it only does what you think it only does.
Yes, it has a hardware acceleration part to it, but with multiple, modern CPU's
it could render simple scenes in real time, complex scenes in near real time.
What Blender for Haiku could use is a Haiku-specific viewing layer that would
render directly to the display buffer in a video card.

BGLView can be used in a BDirectWindow, yes. However, no, simple scenes would
be stuck probably at 30fps, with complex scenes dropping to <1fps. My brother
uses Blender extensively on Windows with a mid-line graphics card, and
sometimes it'll drop below 30fps. In animation (~50% of Blender users),
anything less than 30fps is no good as you can't accurately judge what the
rendered version will look like.

POV RAY is a very sophisticated rendering environment. POV RAY could also have
a Haiku-specific viewing layer for real time viewing. It would also be totally
amazing to have a modeling environment ported and optimized for Haiku. And
again, some Haiku-specific content for rendering. This would be a totally
awesome GSOC project.

A GUI for POV-RAY? There are already Qt ones, but I don't think POV-RAY is so
important to have a native GUI. At least not as important as a Blender port
would be.

Handbrake - as was mentioned previously, it can and should be ported to Haiku.
If it is not a huge project we add some additional tasks. Such as optimize some
of the codecs, do some benchmarking, add a Haiku-specific viewing layer, port
it to Haiku 64-bit, build a recipe, add to HaikuDepot.

"Haiku-specific viewing layer"? You keep using that phrase. I do not think it
means what you think it means.

Regarding Minecraft. Minecraft is written in Java, and uses the Lightweight
Java Games Library 3. This is open source. Minecraft runs on Ubuntu without
anyother libraries. If it does require a proprietary library, and I'm not
convinced it does, there's nothing stopping us from requesting a port of any
proprietary libraries. I am happy to assist with this.

Well, I can look at porting it. I can't imagine it's a GSOC project's worth of
work.

Regarding Whisper BeNet. The GSOC project would focus on 1) getting the
existing code ported to Haiku.

Already works. It took me all of 15 minutes to get it working.

2) adapting it to a better client/server model

Why? How?

3) updating the codecs formodern broadband, testing over different networking
conditions. This is be a totally awesome GSOC project, and would be a super
nova on someone's resume. Pure GSOC gold.

And who would mentor this? Who is around that has a lot of knowledge of the
codebase?

Regarding IPv6. IPv6 is so much more than just a kernel module. I would
recommend that you take a college level networking class before weighing in on
this topic.

I know what IPv6 is, thank you very much.

Here is a link to some apps that could be ported and/or tested as part of
Haiku's IPv6 adoption and compatibility:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_application_supportThis could
easily be a graduate level project. Again, this would be incredible on
someone's resume and would a huge benefit to the Haiku community.

Not really. As mentioned in Adrien's progress reports, IPv6 is really just
missing proper DNS resolution, which he's working on. Other than that, it's
already complete.

-Augustin