[haiku-development] Re: Discussing GSoC 2015 Ideas

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:56:07 +0100

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 05:07:59PM +0530, Tiger Kid1 wrote:
> Hi! I was going through the Ideas page for GSoC 2015 and I finda
> couple of them interesting. But I have some questions regarding them.
> First off, the Modular Edit View task
> (https://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc/2015/ideas#user-interface).
> Is this about writing a Pe-like code-editor, or simply adding
> functionality the its edit view? Should it be something like Notepad++
> or gedit?
> Second, regarding the graphical project manager tool
> (https://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc/2015/ideas#other), how should
> this IDE be different/similar to Paladin. Can the code be re-used?
> I also liked the Tracker vcs add-on idea, and would definitely explore it.
> Thanks in advance,

Hi,

The ideas list is still work in progress, we do not know yet if all the
ideas will be left there (mainly because there may not always be a
mentor available to handle them).

Anyway, for the ideas you mention:

The goal of the "modular edit view" project is to improve on the
existing BTextView by providing an easier to use programming interface
and more features. The tasks is quite open-ended as there was not yet
a lot of discussions between Haiku developers to decide exactly how
this should work. So it is up to students willing to work on the idea
to gather information and shape up a GSoC project proposal. However,
there is already a "wanted features" list:
- The view should support automatic syntax highlighting, with a way to
  add support for more languages. If possible, this should reuse an
  existing library (such as scintilla) or at least an existing syntax
  file format (such as the vim one), so we don't need to write syntax
  highlighters for common languages from scratch.
- The view should also support custom highlighting as the current
  BTextView does: selecting fonts, colors, sizes, etc.
- The view should also support embedding images or other contents.
- The view should be modular, that is, each of the above items and other
  features should be cleanly separated as different modules, allowing
  applications to use the view for more complex purposes by adding
  custom modules to it.

For the project manager, yes, Paladin is an example of one such thing.
It appears, however, that the Paladin code is not too well designed and
it needs a lot of cleanup. It would also need better integration with
the system: direct use of the makefile engine or other build systems
instead of wrapping it in ".proj" files, better integration with the
text editor to tag errors in the source edit view, integration with the
Be Book or Haiku Book as well as manpages to easily reach the available
documentation, etc.

Instead of Paladin, it may be interesting to work on Heidi, which is a
new project to write such a development environment. It is actively
developed and based on more modern technology.

--
Adrien.