[haiku-development] Re: Disable screensaver?

  • From: "Dustin Howett" <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:03:24 -0400

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I think we need a more generic approach, which will also have to work when
> we implement any power saving stuff. An application needs to be able to
> tell the system that it's "doing something". Obviously, all apps are doing
> something, but there has got to be a way for the system to determine if
> that is something the user cares about or not. For example, the SETI@Home
> client my peak the CPUs, but it could be regarded different from a long
> running rendering of some 3D application. Ideally, I'd like to be able to
> configure this, but have some useful defaults. Possibly even depending on
> daytime. For example, if the MediaPlayer is playing a movie, no matter if
> full screen or not, the screen saver would never go on and the system would
> never go into stand-by. When it plays audio, one may want to go into
> stand-by if the system has been idle for an hour and if it's past 23:00 or
> something (with a way to configure this).
>
> A function to temporarily disable the screen saver is only the first step
> of a frame work where applications can fine tune certain behavior of the OS
> with regards to the system being considered "idle". I think such a frame
> work will certainly be needed.
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

Beautiful! Maybe a registry for programs and possibly actions...
while said programs are running, or certain actions are taking place
(obviously configurable with a very nice looking interface involving
lists with programs and icons and their respective power settings (and
possibly more icons? I'm on an icon kick right now.), the system will
not or will do specific things.
Akin to advanced configuration for firewalls, which allow certain
programs in/out/both or only during certain times. "When Media Player
is Playing on Battery after 12:00 AM and there's a full moon,..."
(okay, not really)

All that's really needed (if you wanted to get this fine-grained) is a
way for programs to export their actions; the lookups for running
programs could always be done via their MIME types.
So that, instead of each program having a configuration option
relevant to system power, let the operating system (actually, a power
daemon process) handle it!

-- Dustin L. Howett