[haiku-development] Re: Directory renaming

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Hi there,

I just wanted to ask if there are reservations against the following suggestions:

1) rename /boot/beos/ to /boot/system/
2) move the contents of /boot/beos/system/ to the new /boot/system/
3) move everything from /etc that is not POSIX to the B_BEOS_DATA_DIRECTORY directory (ie. /boot/system/data/). That would affect: joystick, artwork, keymaps, ...
4) move /etc/fonts/ to /boot/system/fonts/
5) introduce B_SYSTEM_*_DIRECTORY aliases for the B_BEOS_*_DIRECTORY constants (which are then either removed or phased out)

I know that at least 1) has the potential to cause incompatibilities with existing BeOS applications. But since I assume that we want to switch a directory a such earlier or later anyway, doing so before our first release sounds like the way to go for me. If it really turns out to be a problem, we can still add symlinks that make the stuff available at the old locations (but who is supposed to mess with /boot/beos/ anyway?).

+1

Regards,
Gerald