[haiku-development] Re: Directory renaming

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> +1
>
> I'm also concerned that restoring bin compatibility won't be as easy
> as creating symlinks.  especially as the directory structure of
> /boot/system would be changing ---eg, no /boot/system/system.

two counterpoints:

1) There are very very very few cases where an app should ever be even
looking in /boot/beos directly for anything - 99% of what the API does
is abstract that out, especially since there are things distributed
between analogous directories in system/ and ~/config/ (i.e. every
category of add-on).

2) Any app that's using the API properly will be using
find_directory() to get the directory path, which I believe Axel has
already adjusted to return the correct new paths for those. The number
of cases that actually break due to this change should be quite small
at worst.

Regards,

Rene

P.S. I might also note, the change has already been committed.