[haiku-development] Directory renaming

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Development" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:16:55 +0200 CEST

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask if there are reservations against the following
suggestions:

1) rename /boot/beos/ to /boot/system/
2) move the contents of /boot/beos/system/ to the new /boot/system/
3) move everything from /etc that is not POSIX to the
B_BEOS_DATA_DIRECTORY directory (ie. /boot/system/data/). That would
affect: joystick, artwork, keymaps, ...
4) move /etc/fonts/ to /boot/system/fonts/
5) introduce B_SYSTEM_*_DIRECTORY aliases for the B_BEOS_*_DIRECTORY
constants (which are then either removed or phased out)

I know that at least 1) has the potential to cause incompatibilities
with existing BeOS applications. But since I assume that we want to
switch a directory a such earlier or later anyway, doing so before our
first release sounds like the way to go for me.
If it really turns out to be a problem, we can still add symlinks that
make the stuff available at the old locations (but who is supposed to
mess with /boot/beos/ anyway?).

Any comments?

Bye,
   Axel.