[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 21:50:00 +0100

Am 27.03.2014 um 15:44 schrieb François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>:

> I didn't follow the discussion, but as for me, apart from the SecureBoot
> crap which as I said is more an instrument of control from Microsoft
> (actually if you really want to trust the firmware, it must also be free
> software like Coreboot, not a blackbox), I'm interested in making NSA's
> job harder just because their job is in most cases illegal (and with the
> complicity of my own government it seems), and I believe we have the
> right to privacy and we must defend it.

I don't think you make it any harder for the NSA if you use the MS certificate.
I'm pretty sure they have the private key to it. But the point is that you
don't have to. You can install your own. That's even a requirement in
Microsoft's Windows 8 requirements. And if you look up how SecureBoot is
described in the UEFI specification, you'll see that it never was designed to
be evil, but that that is what Microsoft tried to do. But even Microsoft
recognized that what they planned as evil and thus now even made it a
requirement for the Windows 8 logo that SecureBoot can a.) accept certificates
from the user and b.) be completely deactivated.

> It might actually be an opportunity for Haiku if security is done in a
> non-nagging way (which is the hardest part I guess, else everyone would
> be using OpenBSD).

Well, that's exactly what I wanted to work on. OpenBSD btw also doesn't get in
your way with security. There are sometime inconveniences, but those are not
security-related, but mostly due to lack of developers.

> As for signed packages, as was said, there are many security holes in
> Haiku itself that should probably be fixed before signed package to
> really be of use, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be useful, and if
> it's what you want to work on I don't see why not.

I see it the other way around: It makes no sense to not run everything as root
if I can't even leave my computer unattended for a few seconds. To me, this is
the most important thing that needs a fix most urgently.

> I understand the frustration that happens when everyone else disagree
> with you (like, I still hope to get my Gopher branch into NetSurf
> someday...)

The NetSurf branch has at least a gain for you: You can use it.

Signed packages have no gain for me if it is not adopted. I can sign the
packages I built myself all day, but that doesn't give me any benefit.

--
Jonathan