[haiku-development] Re: Default Font Choice In Haiku should likely be changed

  • From: Kit <kervas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:18:32 -0600

2011/9/18 Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>

> Hi,
>
> Am 18.09.2011 06:02, schrieb Sean Collins:
>
>  As one of my many personal studys on GUI and applications regarding the
>> Haiku Os. I have reached a pretty substantial conclusion after much
>> testing and even after subjecting windows users to Haiku. The Default
>> fonts are not cutting it for readability or appearance. I am sure this
>> comment is going to grate somebody, but I figured better to just come
>> out and say it.
>>

> I would be really interested in some actual arguments, why the Dejavu fonts
> don't "cut it" for readability and appearance. I am sure that at least for
> readability, there must be some real arguments to back this up. Personally,
> I find Dejavu to be one of the best readable fonts, since it has a very
> clean and homogenous appearance.
>

>  I did do some digging through the mailing list and I found plenty of
>> topics about font rendering, but none specifically on the font selection
>> itself. I had been digging through optional packages sometime ago and I
>> found both the droid and the Wye fonts, so I tested with those. anyhow.
>>
>> Most people seemed to prefer the droid font over the current default, I
>> myself also prefer them over the current defaults. Between the issues
>> with font hinting, font rendering etc not to mentioned any applicable
>> patents that may or may not be lingering, changing the default font
>> would seem to be a ideal situation to resolve the look issue of the
>> current default. Plus the droid fonts just look more professional.
>>

> I remember that there was a thread about the Droid fonts, but on one hand
> you say there was no arguing about the actual selection of the default font,
> yet you say most people prefer the Droid fonts. Personally, I think the
> Droid fonts are pretty, but I wonder whether they are a good candidate to
> replace Dejavu, since they are so heavily associated with Android. Dejavu
> has been in use for years by open projects, they are not particularily
> associated with any one specifically, that I am aware of. (And that by the
> way, is a pretty strong argument against your claim that Dejavu is not well
> readable.)
>

>  I guess this also goes hand in hand with another comment I made in a
>> different thread, if there is a pitch to be made to attract developers,
>> users, academic study etc , expect to encounter resistance from all
>> sides and any nitpick a user can find, a user will find. Everything from
>> the default color scheme to the fonts, to the way the window and file
>> browsing experience is. Humans will nit pick, and those who are what
>> call be termed enthusiasts about Operating System will be even more
>> critical more often then not.
>>

> I hope you realize that this argument is not in favor of your own position.
> The font selection is a matter of taste, so no matter what font we chose as
> the default, people will always nitpick, no?
>

>  So I figured I'd fire the opening shot.

> [...]
Like Stephan, I am open to change, but I think you need stronger arguments.

What is so wrong about the current font?

Is the kerning off?
Does it look bad at small sizes?
Is it hard to read?
Is it too bleh -- too bland?
Too common?

To me, personally, un-scientifically, the answer is "no" to all the previous
questions.
Maybe the last 2 could make me reconsider, if you show me better
alternatives.

I tried doing a comparison between both fonts at TypeTester.org.
There exist many Droid fonts [1], so I assumed Droid Sans (available at the
TypeTester site) vs. DejaVu Sans (locally installed).
Additionally, I chose a third font for comparison, Verdana, from the "safe
list".
From my short, cursory test, I prefer both Verdana and DejaVu Sans, over
Droid Sans. [2]

However, if you give out a more fleshed out argument, and show me a
comparison, I am willing to listen.

Ideally, Haiku would have its very own font, just like Ubuntu does [3].
Having a distinctive font is a good part of what helped Ubuntu make itself
stand out from the rest of Linux distributions when it came out.
I think it is a very nice font.

On the other hand, there are people that still prefer Windows fonts. [4]

Why don't you show us a comparison of different fonts, including Droid's?
[5]

There could even be a test of Ubuntu's fonts on Haiku. I know there would be
people that would rant with emotional objections, but hey, it would be
interesting to check it out.

So keep it coming, Sean.

Cheers,
- Kit

[1] Droid Fonts by Ascender: http://www.droidfonts.com/droidfonts/
[2] I did my test on a Windows machine, using Opera. If this somehow
affected the results, be sure to point it out.
[3] Ubuntu fonts: http://font.ubuntu.com/
[4] http://superuser.com/questions/19824/better-ubuntu-fonts
[5] Here is a mini-screenshot showing Droid fonts on Ubuntu.
http://www.stefanoforenza.com/get-androids-fonts-on-ubuntu-how-to/
[6] For readers not on Haiku, here is a screenshot of her with its current
font: https://www.haiku-os.org/gallery?photo=2&ref=5167080228181734945