[haiku-development] Re: Default Boot Splash Resolution

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:55:34 -0700

On 28/03/2008, Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
>  > "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  >> does anyone (besides Urias ;-)) have a good argument against letting
>  >> the default boot splash resolution grow to 1024x768 by default?
>  >> This is chosen only when there is no EDID information available (such
>  >> is the case with some graphics boards/monitors/all emulators).
>  >
>  > I should mention that this also affects the default resolution for
>  > Haiku if you're running it in VESA mode.
>
> Some old video cards that have only 1 MB of RAM can handle 1024x768 only
>  if the color depth is 8 bpp.  Otherwise I see no problem with 1024x768.

I think at least you'll still be able to use the boot menu to specify
a lower mode - then once you're at a functional Haiku desktop, you
should be able to use the Screen preferences to set the desired
resolution for the next boot and have it stick :)

What was needed to fix the vmware video driver anyway? I seem to
recall it caused some problem with screen refresh during KDL?