[haiku-development] Re: Dealing with AudioCDs

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:28:10 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 22:11 +0100 schrieb Jonas Sundström:
> Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2008, 21:28 +0100 schrieb Jonas Sundström:
> > > Maybe the cdda-fs data backend could be reworked
> > > to be also human readable and editable.
> >
> > Hehe. It allows you simply rename files on your
> > otherwise read-only CD.
> > That's how human readable/editable it actually is. :-)
>
> Haha.. yeah.. mind lapse. :)
>
> But what if a person is using CDPlayer, primarily.
> That person might have to first mount the CD to be
> able to edit it.
>
> IIRC, CDPlayer's ioctl commands also work while a CD
> is mounted by cdda-fs (and not in use - as expected
> the two play methods don't work concurrently).
>
> If CDPlayer wants to promote the in-Tracker editing
> method (replacing its own) it might want to actively
> mount the CD, unlike today.
>
> (I personally don't find a single purpose CD player
> all that useful these days, with media players being
> expected to cope with so many codecs, media, network
> streaming and all. CDPlayer could probably be cut out.
> I wonder how many would miss it.)

DarkWyrm has surely put a lot of effort into it, so I really hope that I
don't hurt his feelings by saying this. But I have to agree. I never use
it myself, if I were to directly play a CD, I'd more likely drop the CD
icon onto MediaPlayer or VLC. I think I probably said it before, but
even MidiPlayer should be integrated into MediaPlayer. There is one
advantage of using CDPlayer, though, which is you can plug your
headphones into the CD drive outlet. Some don't have outlets for
headphones, though, and I have mine behind a separate front cover. :-\

Best regards,
-Stephan