[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:21:53 -0800

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 02:36:50PM -0500, John Scipione wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > RMB already performs a resize. You think this is not easy to reach, and want
> > to replace it with a key + LMB ? I think this is only change for the purpose
> > of change now. RMB drag is easier than LMB drag + a key.
> >
> > So, we already have a good compromise.
>
> How is that a fair compromise?, It addressed neither of my concerns,
> ergonomics and discoverability. With the option key I have the chance
> to update the mouse cursor aiding discoverability, it is also easier
> to perform a LMB drag while holding a keyboard key than it is to
> perform a RMB drag aiding ergonomics. Not having to push the option
> key would have even better discoverability and ergonomics but was
> rejected, thus the proposed compromise.
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am 21/01/2013 18:41, schrieb John Scipione:
> > You are missing the point: as Matt pointed out, the Ctrl-Alt resizing is
> > "advanced" functionality. The direct resize method is easily discoverable.
>
> I think you missed my points, calling something "advanced"
> functionality does not excuse poor UI. I made 2 points about RMB drags
> which are being missed as no one has yet addressed them. Yes, the
> current behavior is consistent but it has serious usability issues so
> I am looking for alternatives. My whole argument is predicated on the
> fact that RMB drags are poor UI for the reasons I've listed
> previously. If you don't believe that, well, I see how you might think
> that I am being pedantic and contrary.
>
> Does changing the functionality from RMB to option+LMB make a
> difference? Yes! IMHO there is a big difference in terms of
> discoverability and ergonomics! If you can't see that I am wasting my
> time here.

John,

You are making a lot of dogmatic assertions here, and [as my own
experience is almost directly contrary] I'd like to know what research
you are basing them on.  (My own original background BTW is in
ergonomics, though it was a long way back now. (:-/)  And one thing
I know is that getting reliable data takes a lot of research -- and a lot of
subjects(!).  Even then results can be skewed by extraneous factors.)

The thing is, very little about using a computer is directly "discoverable".
(Remember Scotty and the mouse [StarTrek IV]!)  For some things you
sometimes just have to RTFM.

And, I'll admit, I didn't 'discover' RMB resizing myself, but it only took
one mention of it here for me to understand it and have the technique
available when I need it from now on.  Which I think is the point: it's
more important for things to be "obvious" -- once you know about them!

Further, I think trying to increase compatibility with other OSs is pointless
(except maybe through Preferences if people are really uncomfortable
with Haiku conventions).  As Axel I think pointed out, the way Haiku gets
used can be very different from other systems.  For instance, I just
counted I have 40 windows currently open (unevenly distributed over
9 workspaces)!  I wouldn't think of doing that in any other OS; when
I run Linux, I never dare have more than two or three windows on screen.
I don't do Micorsoft anymore, but as I remember it was pretty much the
same there.

So I make heavy use of the ability to move windows around
by their most convenient point.  Resizing, OTOH, I typically do when the
window is first opened, for optimal access to the contents.  Only Tracker
windows are likely to get resized later as their contents change.

        -- Pete --