[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> schrieb:
> That is ignoring the argument about moving being more frequent than
> resizing. I don't know about that. Maybe it is, but I simply use the
> tab
> for that. Like I said, the tab should not be movable off screen.

Moving windows partially off screen is useful IMO.
But even when it's on screen, the tab can still be hidden by other
windows.
One difference to other operating systems is that the tab also doesn't
stretch along the whole width of the window, which makes it even more
likely to be hidden when a bunch of windows is on screen at once. That's
when "moving by dragging the border" is so useful to me. For resizing,
there's the big grip thing in the corner which is hardly overlooked and
also more useful because with it you can resize both width and
height... right-click on border lets you only change either width or
height, which IMO is rarely needed and thus fine with right-click.
Oh and btw -- but I suppose that is even more special -- I also like to
double left-click the border to hide a window even when I can't see its
tab.

> Maybe I have another arument pro changing the border behavior to
> resize:
> I would actually love to get rid of the window border width, if it
> were
> easily done.

The thicker borders are easier to target with the mouse. I often find
it annoying on other systems: have to dig out the title bar for moving,
no grip-thing in the corner for resize and the border for resizing the
window has an active click-area of about 1-2 pixel width, which can
make it really hard given today's high resolutions.

> That's why I think it should be an option.

I'd be fine if it was an option, although it's always a bit sad when
behaviour is adapted to other systems "just because"..

--
So long, Julian