[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:39:39 -0500

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I'd also like to suggest considering to keep the current resize zones
>>and the right-click-resizing as it's now. This will always be a
>>"hidden" feature, because people don't usually stumble upon holding
>>CMD+CTRL while watching the mouse pointer. Given this, they have to
>>read about it somewhere. It's just easy for them to remember that
>>left=moving, right=resizing.
>>Being able to move a window by grabbing it anywhere without having to
>>aim outside resize zones feels to me like a big advantage, esp. if the
>>window is partially hidden.
>
> Agreed. The current behavior makes moving the interesting area of a partially
> hidden window into view wonderfully convenient. With the proposed change you
> would potentially have to click the window to the front first, then move it
> (with additional care, since you no longer see what is hidden) and click it
> to the back again (or worse: other windows to the front).
>
> It would generally make the move operation less efficient, as Humdinger
> points out. Having to pause a moment to look first that the right operation
> is going to happen is one thing I don't like that much about the current
> resize implementation either. But I didn't like the possible alternatives
> (like resizing the border in whose direction the mouse is moved initially)
> any better.

I understand that you (Ingo and Humdinger) are partial to the current
behavior so here is my new idea. What if I were to make the window
borders perform a resize instead of a pan with no keys held? I'd
replace the mouse cursor with a double-headed arrows indicating the
direction of the resize when you hover over the border and the LMB
would activate the resize.

That's how Windows and Mac OS X both work so it's not really a big leap.

Then the Ctrl+Alt window management functionality could stay
approximately as is... although I'd still like to replace the mouse
cursor with a 4-direction one indicating panning when ctrl+alt are
held and using double-headed arrows (instead of single-headed ones)
when the RMB is held indicating a resize. The complaint that RMB drags
are awkward stands but there at least would be a different method to
perform a LMB resize other than the bottom right corner.

>>To graphically show those zones instead of border highlighting and
>>changing the mouse pointer is still a good idea.
>
> +1. The lame border highlighting was just me being lazy.

I feel that the border highlighting and the zones concept are both
confusing. The best way to indicate a pan or resize is solely through
the mouse cursor.

>>On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:41:42 -0500 EST Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
>>> Or hitting ESC while doing the resize
>>> could cancel it? Or does any other OS have a way of doing a cancel
>>> that we can borrow?
>>
>>I never had that problem (or didn't mind a window accidentally
>>moved/resized a few pixels), but having ESC while dragging aborting the
>>action sounds good to me.

Why would ESC cancel a drag? Just lift the mouse button. Maybe I'm
missing something...

Thanks for listening,
John Scipione