[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:46:03 +0100

On 01/23/2013 11:25 PM, John Scipione wrote:
The best
compromise I can see out of all this is the idea of making ctrl+LMB
emulate a RMB so that actions the currently utilize the RMB would now
have a backup that uses the LMB. Everyone who likes RMB could
continue, everyone who doesn't (me) would have a backup that uses the
LMB. Now, that doesn't work with ctrl+alt since obviously you'd
already be holding down ctrl. I wonder how crazy an idea changing
ctrl+alt to opt would be...

It actually both comes down to the same issue: compatibility.
If any application is using Opt-click to Ctrl-click, it will not work anymore correctly with these changes in place. If it would only affect the border, that would be bearable, but for the rest it's probably not.

I see two paths out of that dilemma:
1) Add an option to turn on the button emulation (to Mouse). This would be handled in the input_server directly -- since Ctrl-Alt-click != Ctrl-click, this should not be a problem, either. However, the compatibility issue would remain, only the user could decide if he likes the broken apps... :-/ 2) Make shortcuts completely configurable. This would allow to add shortcuts however we feel like, and have modifier by role not key, ie. there would be a window/system modifier, and a command modifier. Depending on how this is implemented, it might break compatibility, too, though. I haven't really investigated this, but I could imagine it's possible to implement this without breaking existing applications.
If not, it would still be nice to have this for R2 :-)

Bye,
   Axel.