[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:25:28 -0500

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I absolutely see where you are coming from. Giving the RMB action functions
> /can/ be awkward. You can hardly use it with a pen input. With touch input,
> it's completely unusable, as long as touch displays don't differentiate
> between your index and middle finger…
>
> On the other hand, as you can clearly see from the reaction, it stands the
> fact that most people use the desktop, at least Haiku, with a two button
> mouse. And they like the optimization that using the RMB for window actions
> gives them. Me actually included, I use send-to-back virtually all the time
> when I use Haiku and I totally miss it in other OS.
>
> I am inclined to say, just leave it as it is.

Well, consistency was 1 of 3 complaints I've had but it is clear to me
that the crowd seems to like right click performing actions. The best
compromise I can see out of all this is the idea of making ctrl+LMB
emulate a RMB so that actions the currently utilize the RMB would now
have a backup that uses the LMB. Everyone who likes RMB could
continue, everyone who doesn't (me) would have a backup that uses the
LMB. Now, that doesn't work with ctrl+alt since obviously you'd
already be holding down ctrl. I wonder how crazy an idea changing
ctrl+alt to opt would be...

John Scipione