[haiku-development] Re: Considering the audio Mixer formats

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 16:14:31 +0100

Hey,

Am 06.02.2016 um 15:58 schrieb Dario Casalinuovo:

BeAPI programs usually use our encoders to obtain data in the specified format. I think the great majority of apps, doesn't deal with the current storage format and just get as a pratice habit buffers in floating point format.
It would still be bad to not allow getting the native data format as used in the file. If you always convert it to float, it would in certain situations prevent lossless end-to-end processing of the same format, e.g. when simply remuxing a stream into another container format.
At some point the conversion to float will happen anyway, as the soundcard will accept data only in this format.
Huh? What kind of sound cards are you thinking of? Maybe there are professional cards which support float audio... although I've never seen that (it would be kinda pointless too). And for certain I can say that at least the widely popular Intel HDA audio does not support float samples.

Best regards,
Julian