[haiku-development] Compositing app_server work to resume!

Howdy all!

For those of you interested, I have made my move to California and am currently unpacking. Within the next two weeks I will resume working on the compositing-enabled app_server by first re-syncing with Haiku. I will then strip experimental optimizations from the main "compositing" branch and limit publicly-visible code to that which is needed for the first steps: redirect window & decorator drawing to bitmaps/buffers, provide mode-switching for clipping (while moving windows, redrawing, or the new case of background-redrawing), and the like.

I will be making certain patches for Haiku which will be helpful in easing the transition between the code bases to hopefully be accepted and applied to the real Haiku. These will be very focused and limited in scope: decorators will have to use a new coordinate system and be completely unaware of their physical screen location - decorators and windows will have their logical origins shifted while compositing (from the frame buffer to the WindowBuffer[to be renamed CompositableBuffer]). A few other minor inter-changeability patches will likely come up along the way as well.

The first iteration will have no optimizations such as multithreaded rendering, rendering prioritization, full-scale bitmap composited overlays, etc... it will perform poorly, I'm sure ;-)

--The loon ... can't wait to get back into things!!