[haiku-development] Re: Compatibility breakage: wchar_t -> long int

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:34:18 -0400

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Oliver Tappe<zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> during recent research concerning wchar_t and the related functions in our
> libroot, I have learnt that haiku's current compilers define wchar_t in a way
> (short unsigned int) that's incompatible with the actual implementation
> (which expects it to be 32 bits wide). This causes most wc-related functions
> to simply fail.

I'm trying to keep Haiku current with GCC 4.4.  I assume this just
means changing our current target headers to have:

#define WCHAR_TYPE "long int"

and

#define WCHAR_TYPE_SIZE 32

where applicable, instead of the current "short unsigned int" and 16
values, respectively?

> P.S.: if there are any changes pending for gcc2 or gcc4, please tell, since
>      now would be a very good time to apply those, too :-)

As mentioned, I'm trying to keep us current with GCC 4.4, and plan on
filing an enhancement ticket shortly after GCC 4.4.1 comes out.  It
was tentatively scheduled for release on Sunday, but seeing as that
has come and gone, my guess is maybe tomorrow or 28th.  In any case, I
have no idea if GCC 4.4 for Haiku is desired at this point, but I
still want to keep things current with what we have in the repository.

For now, it'd probably be safest to apply the changes to 2.95.3 and
4.3.3, and if it's decided to move up to GCC 4.4, it should be a
smooth transition as long as things are kept up to date on the 4.4
side.

- joe