[haiku-development] Re: Coding Guidelines need update for localization

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:22:29 +0100

Adrien Destugues "Adrien Destugues" <adestugu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Moreover, the About System case is a bit particular, asit has
> a lot of text, includes formatting in various styles and
> hyperlinks, with an API that's not possible to use with
> ReplaceFirst.
>
> I don't see how we can get this app done right.

I restate my opinion that AboutSystem should be replaced, at least
partially, by a plain HTML document. We have two very capable browsers.

There is of course merit and value in improving the APIs and the
services available to our devs and translators, but there is no true
value in wrapping the right hand side text of AboutSystem - which is
essentially documentation! - in C++ code, just to have it presentable
in a form and in a place where a subset of people expect to find this
information.

This document could live anywhere - I usually suggest the desktop -
or even a link to a page on the Haiku website. Sharing this info
on the website might be prudent anyway.

/Jonas.