[haiku-development] Re: CUPS Port Direction

Hi Michael,

Michael Pfeiffer schrieb:
Hi Karsten!

Am 11.07.2008 um 12:51 schrieb Julun:

Hi,

it seems I missed the discussion,

You did miss it because it was a private discussion between Jovan, the HCD student, and me, his mentor.

I didn't know that and i was not looking to get into your way.

Now I notice that my initial mail was sent to the wrong list, it should have been haiku-mentors, anyway.

can you please share some more info what will be done?

I can forward the emails of that discussion to you if Jovan does not object.

This would be great!  :)

I just ask because I'm in favor of dropping the print server after R1 and go entirely with cups. ;)

Fine by me if we drop support for native BeOS/Haiku printer drivers. And don't forget you need Ghostscript, Gutenprint, HPIJS and maybe Foomatic too, because plain CUPS supports only printers with HP PCL up to level 5 and ESCP, IIRC.

I won't forget, but to be honest i don't see that much dev's popping up and write native printer drivers. If we do a proper integration, we will get a lot more stuff for free and all it needs is just maintenance.

Anyway, all might change after i have read your ideas about the port and the direction. :)

Regards,
Karsten