[haiku-development] Re: CUPS Port Direction

  • From: Julun <HOST.HAIKU@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:01:54 +0200

Hi,

Rene Gollent schrieb:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Julun <HOST.HAIKU@xxxxxx> wrote:
I don't think people will be all that interested in writing printer
drivers until they have something usable that they'd actually want to
print from :) There isn't exactly much in the way of non-OS-related
development going on for Haiku in general at this point.
And? Does this mean we should stop thinking about a proper solution or
integration and wait until there is need for printing? ;)

My point was simply that there is no good reason to expect there to be
a ton of people falling over themselves to write printer drivers right
now, ergo this isn't really a good rationale to say "dump our existing
technology stack and go with something else that past experience
dictates is not really an improvement."

I'm not even asking for others to do this, I was going kick myself to give it try. I see no point in competing here with existing printing solutions and printing seems to be an area with few to none interest since ever (lately i saw a fagot rolling thru the dusty printer mailing list) ;)

Anyway, there is still plenty of time left until we will dump something.

Regards,
Karsten