[haiku-development] Re: Busted!

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 02:00:20 +0200

I'm sorry to feed this out of place discussion, but I do care too much as to
simply disregard such statements.

On Mon, 25 May 2009 09:00:09 +1000, Rob Judd wrote
> It's time to get serious about reliability. I'm not the project
> manager here (in fact, who is since M. Phipps left?) but if I were
> and some developer told me to build in Linux I'd tear him a new asshole.

That's just plain stupid. Aside from the wording, it makes no sense. First of
all, what do you think everyone's doing? Do you think we find it OK that there
are reliability issues and that we just don't care? Has it occured to you that
the current reliability issues may be hard to track down because they are
difficult to reproduce? I'm sure that everyone wants a reliable system, but as
you've undoubtedly experienced, in some situations it is more reliable than
others. The suggestion to use Linux to build was a well meant one, indicating
that for your case and for the reason of not hindering your productivity, it'd
probably be easier to use Linux as a host until the issues you experience have
been identified and fixed. It certainly didn't mean "oh, you know, we don't
actually have an interest in making our system reliable, just use Linux
instead".

From what you've written so far it comes across as if you are quite an
experienced developer. So you certainly have the ability to track the issue
down and fix it. That'd be really helpful, as obviously you're able to
reproduce the issue more easily than everyone else.

But if you're not interested in tracking it down, then please don't start
demanding a fix from others for a problem they aren't able to reproduce. If we
were employed and payed developers and you were the boss then you'd be in a
situation where this could work. But in our situation you either track it down
yourself or report the issue in so much detail that others are able to find a
way to reproduce or even find a solution. If this is not possible, because you
don't have that kind of info ("it just happens after some time"), this is a
pitty, but no-ones fault, not yours and not the one of others. But if this is
the case, then you simply can't start demanding or accusing others. The only
thing that this kind of behaviour results in, IMO, is that people get pissed
off. I certainly know that I'm starting to get pissed off and I wouldn't be
surprised if others felt the same. And pissing off developers is not something
I'd consider a good way to move Haiku forward.

> But then, as everyone keeps pointing out, I'm not a nice person. ;-)

I just don't get why you are acting like this in the first place. Wouldn't it
be easier to just be constructive instead of being a PITA? I mean if you
really are so much of a better developer than anyone else, so much that no-one
could teach you anything, then you certainly don't need us to fix all
remaining issues in Haiku. If not, then why don't you accept the fact that
others may know something better than you (maybe because they wrote the code
in the first place or because they are simply using Haiku for a much longer
time). In this case a little respect would go a long way.

Regards
Michael