[haiku-development] Re: Buildutils on powerpc

  • From: richard jasmin <jasminr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:07:05 -0400

crtstuff has known issues, ive used the pascal/delphi variant of it a few years back.try ncurses libs.

endianness i think flips on ppc.compile for 32bit, on less than ppc g5.

ncurses replaces crt routines for *NIX, as they are implemented differently than by the ways of dos. this may be a cross-tools or haiku thing, not somehting you put in there to use, just keep it in mind.

however, it looks like you are missing a header file, the error is 'undefined symbols'.usually means a required library is missing(.so or a).i get it sometimes with C (++)programs.

you have both C and (++) support installed, right? maybe you need the kernel headers installed, not sure.

does seem odd that dos mode routines are being used under *NIX.posix-compliant uses ncurses, its almost the same, some routines are different.gives the equivalent of TVision for unix from the days of TP6 from dos.

I would love to get my hands on ncurses in pascal structure, cant find it for either GNU or FreePascal on OSX and the app i was working on required gotoxy() and bgcolor() and fgcolor() [or equivalent] working correctly.due to this issue it failed to redraw the screen in a terminal correctly and I was left with garbage on screen redraws.I couldnt get a rough cut of a cocoa or carbon app with QDraw text to a output window working, so I gave up. the app works better in command-line mode, as its a micro-os like enviroment attempted to simulate the entire LCARS backend.[not some demo or somebody's alarm-clock, an actual working database]

my knowledge of C stems better from python, which is poorly implemented on the MAC.
albeit I run ubuntu often, but still.....

seriously does look like an outdated sub-routine, though.
--------
Duane Ryan wrote:
So,  i've been rather bored recently; I figure, why not try and get
haiku running on my mac? How hard can it be?

So, I attempted to build crossutils using `./configure
--build-cross-tools-gcc4 ppc ../buildtools/`, as per Ryan's tutorial
for ubuntu linux. After chugging along for a few hours (I have a slow
machine), it fails, for reasons I can't really comprehend. Full errors
are in the attachment.

Cheers!
-duane