[haiku-development] Re: Building on Mac OS X .bash_profile

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:11:31 +0100

Philippe Michael Groarke wrote:
The MacPorts section talks about modifying the ~/.bash_profile file. Yes, this will work, but it will override any settings people have in their ~/.profile file. And as far as I'm aware, on OSX it is recommended to use .profile instead of .bash_profile. Both work for the purpose of building Haiku, but some people may discover that other tools break since their defintions are in .profile.

MacPorts installation does the changes to .profile itself, if it does not work for your it's (likely) because you have .bash_profile or .bash_login around. I use .profile so it was not a problem.

And I can confirm that checking out and building Haiku in OSX is extremely faster than in Zeta, more than the CPU speed difference would suggest. It takes more than one hour on my Athlon 2000+ with Zeta, but only 15 minutes on my MacBook Core Duo 2 GHz (and with a single jam job). I'm curious to see what happens in Linux...

A note on this, is it possible to apply the OSX "patches" to the Haiku repository?

Regards,,

Gabriele