[haiku-development] Building on Mac OS X .bash_profile

  • From: Philippe Michael Groarke <philippe_groarke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:26:58 -0800 (PST)

Hello, could anybody confirm this correction to the "building haiku on Mac"
guide. I will be including the document in the UserGuide (after correction) and
I can't get in touch with the comment's author, because it seems his e-mail is
down.

The comment was:

The MacPorts section talks about modifying the ~/.bash_profile
file. Yes, this will work, but it will override any settings people
have in their ~/.profile file. And as far as I'm aware, on OSX it is
recommended to use .profile instead of .bash_profile. Both work for the
purpose of building Haiku, but some people may discover that other
tools break since their defintions are in .profile.

This is in response to this section of the guide:

First, install MacPorts (A standard Installer package is provided)
Close your Terminal, and enter in a new one:
sudo port install gnuregex gawk
(You will be prompted for
the administrator password of the current account - Do not worry if
nothing you type shows after the Password prompt, this is intended ;-) )
If you get an error "port: command not found", create/edit your .bash_profile
file :
nano ~/.bash_profile
Add at the end of the file :
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/local/share/man
export INFOPATH=$INFOPATH:/opt/local/share/info
To save the file and quit the editor, type Ctrl-X, Y and Return.
You can now retry the port install... command in a new Terminal.
Is this information correct?
Thanks again,
Socapex_2K

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot
with the All-new Yahoo! Mail.  Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail
today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca