[haiku-development] Re: Building My Own Alpha R1 - How is it done?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:26:31 -0700

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 03:51:21PM +1100, David McPaul wrote:
> 2009/10/16  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Now I can edit those sources and get revised versions of desired parts
> > of the system by doing a 'jam'.  For example to get a new kernel, I
> > do a 'jam -q kernel' from the top level 'haiku' directory, after editing
> > the desired files in their subdirectories.  Then I go to the subdirectory
> > in 'generated' (sorry -- the exact path is on my other machine and I don't
> > trust my memory (:-)) and copy kernel_x86 over to /boot/system and
> > reboot.  (If it's not kernel, you may not even have to reboot.)
>
> Gosh you are braver than me.  I have 2 partitions.  One that I use for
> developing and one for testing a new release (ie jam to the other
> partition)

Urgghh, no... (:-))  I'm not trying to do everything with one partition,
either.  There are actually 3 Haiku partitions (plus an old BeOS one
for emergencies, courtesy of Scott McC who supplied me with the machine).
I try to keep multiple copies of everything *really* important, or at
least ways of recreating things easily.  It just happened that this was
my oldest partition, so it has accumulated the most cruft.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had so little trouble with Haiku that
I'm willing to work in the same partition.  I hate all the rebooting
that switching partitions involves.  And if there is a disaster there
are always those other partitions to recover with.  [And *of course*
I keep copies of the original files around!]

(When modifying the kernel, I have to reboot anyway, but as the other
partitions are older revs I thought it was safer to stick with alpha1.
I'll probably soon update one of the others, too, so I might split my
work then.)

Cheers,

                -- Pete --