[haiku-development] Boot Screen Not Displayed with Various Video Chips

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:19:53 -0500

I usually use a 1280x1024 LCD monitor (Samsung 710N) when running Haiku, and have noticed that with various video chips the monitor indicates that the video mode is out of range when the boot screen should be displayed. This happens with all the ATI Mach64 and Rage128 chips that I have tested, and some of the S3 Trio and Virge chips. In all these cases the syslog indicates that 1280x1024 is the resolution being used. If I use a CRT monitor, it will display the boot screen, and it indicates that the horizontal frequency is 46.4 KHz and the refresh rate is 87 Hz. A refresh rate of 87 Hz is too high for most LCD monitors. At least it is too high the 3 LCD monitors that I have which are:

Samsung 710N        1280x1024
Samsung 740B        1280x1024
Viewsonic VA2026w   1680x1050

Also the horizontal frequency seems low for 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 87 Hz unless the chip is generating an interleaved display. Otherwise the horizontal frequency should be double what it is.

Anyway, if a resolution of 1024x768 is selected as the fail-safe video mode in the boot menu, the boot screen is displayed on the LCD monitor via all of the these video chips and the refresh rate is 60 Hz in all these cases. Consequently, I think that the resolution of the boot screen should be limited to 1024x768.

I don't see the point of using a boot screen with a higher resolution than 1024x768 since the logo and icon start to look quite small at larger resolutions. Zeta used 800x600, and their boot screen looks fine.

Regards,
Gerald