[haiku-development] Re: Best UserBuildConfig partition settings

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:44:40 +0100

Hi,

Philippe Michael Groarke schrieb:
Hello, I've come across two was of setting the partition to build Haiku on (in UserBuilConfig). I'm currently working on writing help for installation procedures, and I was wondering if both methods are considered equivalent (O.K.) while setting up your UserBuildConfig.

Either this:

HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME        = sda6 ;
HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR         = /dev ;

Or:

DefineBuildProfile disk : disk : "/dev/sda7" ;

switch $(HAIKU_BUILD_PROFILE) {
    case "disk" : {
        HAIKU_ADD_ALL_OPTIONAL_PACKAGES = 1 ;
    }
}

You would then sudo jam -q @disk when building...

Are both of these equivalent?

Yes, but the profiles are more powerful, because you can define multiple different ones. For example, I have different profiles for different emulators, different profiles for USB-stick and harddrive partition, and different profiles depending on how fast I want the result (ie bare bones or full featured).

Best regards,
-Stephan