[haiku-development] Re: Banning Jorge G. Mare

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:31:46 +0200

Hi Jonas,

Jonas Sundström schrieb:
> I'm not convinced by the actual arguments put forward that
> it is just and fair to ban Jorge, and permanently at that.

IMHO it is rarely "fair" to ban someone, but it is a harsh, last resort
decision that aims for putting a solution to a long-standing problem.

> I think the crossfire has often been less than respectful
> and that this escalation has been on-going for a long time,
> to a point where relations are now infected and seemingly
> beyond repair.
>
>>From a cold "economic" point of view it's likely best for Jorge
> and the Haiku developer collective to go their separate ways,
> which means casting out the lesser part from the whole. It may
> be the most effective means to an end, but there's nothing just
> about it IMO.

I believe going separate ways is the better solution not only from an
economic point of view, but from a (supposedly warmer) emotional POV, too:
all those heated arguments cause stress for each of the involved individuals
(not the least for Jorge himself, I believe). I'd like that to stop and once
it does, I will feel somewhat relieved.

> Apart from the severing of ties I see only the option of
> (professional) mediation/counselling from an outside party,
> and I don't mean that for Jorge only.

Nice idea in general but I just can't see it happening - can you?

> Blaming it all on Jorge alone and then burying the whole episode
> is unfair and not a good way to process this experience.

I personally am not putting all the blame on Jorge, several individuals -
including myself - made mistakes throughout one or the other of the fights.
But there's one thing all these fights have in common: Jorge is at their
centre, heating the fire.

> But I don't know how to fix the situation. It's all just
> frustrating and sad.

That's just life, I suppose, sometimes it is just that: sad and frustrating
and you need to find a way out, which more often than not is neither fair
nor just.

I am not going to feel particularly good about it, should Jorge be banned,
but hopefully I can then spend some more time on the parts of the project
that I'm interested in.

cheers,
    Oliver