[haiku-development] Re: BString method SymbolAt() proposal

  • From: Reinhard Scharnagl <ReScharn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:51:28 +0200

Am 19.06.2010 um 18:34 schrieb Oliver Tappe:

> On 2010-06-19 at 12:39:47 [+0200], Reinhard Scharnagl <rescharn@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> The BString class seems to be not complete. Typical UTF8 symbols
>> like '€' do not fit into one char but into an int32. Nevertheless BString
>> methods only support char parameters, where handling a single UTF8
>> symbol is intended.
>
> That's not at all true, there are:
>                       const char*     CharAt(int32 charIndex, int32* bytes =
> NULL) const;
>                       bool                    CharAt(int32 charIndex, char*
> buffer,
>                                                               int32* bytes)
> const;
>
> which are perfectly capable of returning characters of any byte-length.

It is a very rare art to misunderstand my words that extreme.

BString s += '€';

is an example for such a char parameter, which is not capable for UTF8 symbols.

I made a simple proposal for a BString method SymbolAt(), which might need
about 20 lines of code. The discussion about it raised a lot of opposition by
people, whose arguments I cannot understand, because they are completely
misleading.

I decide to invest my programming time in more fruitful projects instead.

Sorry, if I should have waisted your time.

Reinhard (Octopus)