[haiku-development] Re: BString and UTF-8

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:38:44 +0100

On 12/03/2011 09:49 PM, Michael Bridgers wrote:
There seems to be rather strong feelings against what I'm proposing from
a number of people.

While I believe that this would be a big step in a positive direction
for Haiku, I don't believe that my changes would be accepted. I won't be
submitting any changes.

Huh? The changes you propose are welcome with the one exception that breaking backwards compatibility is not an option. That means you must not force BString to only contain UTF-8 strings. That's not a strong feeling, and not an opinion either. that's just an implementation detail that you need to acknowledge when working on something while retaining compatibility.

I don't quite see how that affect your other suggestions, though. Those still make sense to have.

Bye,
   Axel.