[haiku-development] Re: BString and UTF-8

  • From: fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 22:35:40 +0100

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Michael Bridgers <mibrid@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/3/2011 3:47 AM, Niels Sascha Reedijk wrote:
>
>>  > I have started on this, but I would be willing to wait for your
>> commit. When do you think you will commit your changes?
>>
>> I will try to push this either today or tomorrow!
>>

> There seems to be rather strong feelings against what I'm proposing from a
> number of people.
>
> While I believe that this would be a big step in a positive direction for
> Haiku, I don't believe that my changes would be accepted. I won't be
> submitting any changes.
>
> Michael

Noooo!
It's a very pity; I hope you rethink this, IMHO let BString treat only real
Strings (that is UTF-8 ones) and creates a new class for store byte arrays
was the good compromise.
It avoids confusion as name says BString should contain only human readable
strings not garbage arrays if this behavior was premise it was broken and
you're right in fixin' it!

fano