[haiku-development] Re: BPath::Append() resets the original path in case of failure.

On 2009-02-25 at 17:23:13 [+0100], Fredrik Holmqvist
<fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/2/25 Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
> > Since also SetTo() returns an error, and it could be argued that it should
> > not be destructive either, we may as well change that to behave more like
> > one would expect. What do other think? The problem with such changes is
> > that
> > we don't really have the resources to check a lot of existing applications
> > for the effect of such a change. :-\
> >
> > Best regards,
> > -Stephan
>
> Why would you want to break a well documented and existing API that
> almost all apps use?

+1

This is not an obscure corner case. AFAIK all storage kit class setters are
destructive and render the object invalid when they fail (most have an
InitCheck() even). So, while I agree that in a new API it would be nicer to
have these BPath methods work differently, it's not even inconsistent as it
is now. Nor it is particularly annoying -- one can just use the API as
documented.

CU, Ingo