[haiku-development] Re: BNetworkInterface questions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:30:20 +0100 (MET)

Alexander von Gluck<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm. so are we going to do virtual addresses at all in the future?
>
> It was really easy to pretend each 0, 0:0, 0:1 virtual network device is
> a real network card (this is how linux/BSD/Unix does it as well, and is
> quite easy to deal with)

What would be the purpose of this?
I can't think of something useful to do with this.

> I saw that the FindFirstAddress will take an IPv4 vs IPv6 designation,
> and BNetworkInterface will report back multiple IP addresses for one
> interface... however this seems difficult to deal with and work around.

This is how it works, and not just in Haiku. The IPv6 standard pretty much
requires to be able to do so, and that's what all operating systems I know of
support (ie. Linux, Windows, ...).

> So at the moment, there is no way to set multiple IP addresses in
> ifconfig for an interface? (minus the 0:0 method)

Not in the same family, but feel free to add support for that.

Bye,
   Axel.