[haiku-development] Re: BNetworkInterface questions

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:06:50 -0600

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 19:41 +0100, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 14:56 +0100, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > > This has nothing
> > > to do with BNetworkInterface itself, though, this is what the
> > > network stack is
> > > doing.
> > Wierd.. Haiku lets you create one that works...
> > http://pastebin.com/escXeQ8m
>
> Note the missing "up" in the flags. Since there is no device backing up
> the interface, you cannot up it, as that is something the device
> handles.
>
> You probably can still create those interfaces, as that was once the
> basis for the broken alias mechanism. Since this is completely
> pointless, I think we should just remove that leftover, and make
> creating such an interface fail.

Hmm. so are we going to do virtual addresses at all in the future?

It was really easy to pretend each 0, 0:0, 0:1 virtual network device is
a real network card (this is how linux/BSD/Unix does it as well, and is
quite easy to deal with)

I saw that the FindFirstAddress will take an IPv4 vs IPv6 designation,
and BNetworkInterface will report back multiple IP addresses for one
interface... however this seems difficult to deal with and work around.

So at the moment, there is no way to set multiple IP addresses in
ifconfig for an interface? (minus the 0:0 method)

--
Thanks!
 -Alexander von Gluck IV