[haiku-development] Re: BMenuBar scrolling support

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:52:55 +1300

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:51:04 +1300, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28.12.2011 01:23, Clemens wrote:
ps. I really like these new overlay scrollbars in gtk, very space
efficient and I think even easier to use (less mouse movement):

Over my dead body. That's really the worst UI idea regarding scroll bars ever. Makes them totally unusable without a scroll wheel, and you really don't want to use that all the time.

? if your point is that scrolling is only usable using the scroll wheel, I have to say that I pretty quick got used to the overlay scrollbar and I find it quite convenient now. The learning phase was really short! However, since I mainly use KDE I haven't used it extensively yet.

Besides, they have the same color as the selection now which makes them easily invisible in Nautilus.

Furthermore, a single colour scroll bar rectangle is IMHO not easy to spot but this is for sure not a conceptual problem.

The paradox about scrollbars is that they are added in case the screen space is insufficient and thus further reduce the available space. For large views, like a canvas, this is not very problematic but for smaller views every additional shown line can be valuable (think of apples finder where three scrollbars wasting precious space). The overlay scrollbar is at least a clever solution to reduce this problem.

Regards,
        Clemens