[haiku-development] Re: BFS and UUID

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:25:42 +0200 CEST

"Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <phcoder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In Be's BFS, the root directory has an attribute be:volume_id which
> > corresponds to an UUID. We currently don't do this in Haiku, yet,
> > though.
> 64-bit quantity is a bit short by modern standards but is enough for
> most usage cases.

You could just add a prefix.

> Getting attributes isn't difficult but may need the module to be a
> bit
> bigger but difficult to say without actualy implementing.
> In short if haiku creates a volume_id I'll be happy to implement it

It might be a bit much for a boot loader implementation. I'll give it
some thought; the advantage of the attribute solution is that there is
already an API for retrieving it. OTOH this does not cover the UUIDs of
other file systems, so a generic solution sounds like the best option.

> > Haiku currently does not support hibernating, but other than that,
> > patches welcome :-)
> How much memory is unswappable in current kernel?

Due to BeOS heritage, the whole kernel heap is unswappable, plus all
kernel stacks (every thread has a kernel stack, too).

Bye,
   Axel.