[haiku-development] Available spaces on partitions

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:34:06 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to get some feedback on a question regarding available spaces
on partitions that are smaller than a certain "threshold". I think these
spaces appear because of positioning restrictions for partitions with
certain hard drive layouts and properties. I don't know enough about it,
but I have encountered these "unavailable for partitions" spaces anytime I
have dealt with partitioning tools, especially when installing Windows. For
example, I would create one big partition to cover the entire drive, and
after doing so, there would be 8 MB of empty space left besides the new
partition -> Huh? My questions are, I guess, 1) wether this is really
unavoidable because of some placement restrictions. 2) wether to show these
to the user at all (I guess not). And 3) if there is any more reliable way
to detect a "bogus space" other than looking at it's size and, say, ignore
anything below or at 8 MByte. Maybe with even bigger drives, these spaces
could be more than 8 MByte. Like I said, I don't know enough about the
subject, any feedback appreciated.

Best regards,
-Stephan