[haiku-development] Re: Are fs add-ons cached?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:31:49 +0200 CEST

> Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have been playing with the cdda fs add-on and I noticed something
> > that
> > looks weird. Here is what I do:
> >
> > 1 - Mount an audio CD.
> > 2 - Unmount it.
> > 3 - Recompile and reinstall the fs add on with some debug
> > dprintf's.
> > 4 - Mount an audio CD.
> > 5 - Expected debug is not printed to syslog.
> > 6 - Reboot.
> > 7 - Mount an audio CD.
> > 8 - Debug is printed to syslog.
> >
> > So it seems that even when the add-on is not effectively in use
> > anymore
> > (no audio CDs mounted), it is not really being unloaded as it seems
> > the
> > same version is used even after the add-on being update. Does that
> > make
> > any sense at all? Is it intentional?
>
> I would just assume there is a bug somewhere :-)
> Maybe someone keeps a reference to that add-on for whatever reason.

I think it might be the same issue that makes OSS crash on reload.
It loads itself under several names (all driver modules are linked into
a single binary for now), and I suspect final unloading doesn't clean
up everything... might leave things with globals left to their last
state instead of reinitializing them or something...

Should try to write a test module and see.

François.