[haiku-development] Application MIME signature consistency (or lack thereof)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:03:23 -0400

I wonder if we should audit our application MIME signatures and make
them all consistent before the alpha release. The general pattern used
most often seems to be:

application/x-vnd.Haiku-<CamelCaseAppName> (e.g.
application/x-vnd.Haiku-ShowImage)

So I would vote that as the standard recommended format. Some examples
that don't fit this are "application/x-vnd.haiku-diskusage",
"application/x-vnd.haiku-Pairs",
"application/x-vnd.haiku-icon_o_matic" (though maybe at least with the
dashes to underscore conversion the latter is OK, I'm not sure.) There
are also some included apps with older signatures that indicate their
origins (e.g  "application/x-vnd.Geb-ProcessController".) I would
recommend changing them too.

Now I suppose for compatibility we need to keep some of the old Be
signatures for Tracker and Deskbar and whatever else.

Why should we bother to do this? Well consistency is good. Also this
will make it easier to send messages between apps or use hey without
having to look up the app signature.

If no one thinks this is stupid I'd be willing to do the work.

Another thought is to create a header to define all these for use
within Haiku, but I think that is optional if we can rename them to
all be consistent.

--
Regards,
Ryan