[haiku-development] AppServer and Video Driver Question

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 10:18:40 -0400

When implementing a new video driver for Haiku, is implementing the accelerated drawing functions and the hardware cursor functions in the video driver worth the effort. I ask this because the appserver has not used the accelerated drawing function for about a year and a half, and AFAIK the hardware cursor functions have never been used.

Will the appserver ever used these functions again?

With respect to the video drivers that I implemented (s3 and ati), drawing was faster using the accelerated drawing functions. When the accelerated drawing functions are not used and a window is moved about the screen, the user will see multiple images of the window before they are erased. With an older version of Haiku such as r28289 from Oct 23, 2008 which used the accelerated drawing functions, the user does not see these multiple window images.

Concerning the cursor, the software cursor works fine except when the cursor is placed in the window of the GL Teapot demo. If the mouse is not moved, the cursor disappears until the mouse is moved again. Also when the cursor is moved on the teapot, there is a black rectangle surrounding the mouse.

-- Gerald