[haiku-development] Re: App server hangs at boot

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:25:37 -0400

Stephan Assmus wrote:
Hi Gerald,

your message did make it through the first time, at least I had got it. I was
meaning to apply your patch, but was later distracted, I suppose. Thanks for
reminding anyways.

This change also
removes the last piece of code that came from Erdi Chen's BeSavage
driver;  thus,  this diff file also removes his copyright from the file
savage_cursor.c.

I was going to ask you, is there a more specific reason to remove that guy from
the copyright? I am just wondering if his original implementation was somehow
beneficial for the current implementation, even though none of his original
code has survived. Even if his implementation was wrong, it might have still
lead to the correct implementation. If so, I would simply keep him in the
copyright section. I just think it's the nicer thing to do, if there is any
doubt. That was just something I wanted to ask you before I apply the patch.

Best regards,
-Stephan

Axel has already applied my patch; nevertheless, I will respond to your question about removing Erdi Chen's copyright. His implementation only supported the Savage4 and a couple other chips, and failed to startup the Savage4 about 20% of the time; thus, I used the x.org code almost entirely for developing the current Savage driver except for the code for loading a cursor image because I did not do enough research to determine how the AND and XOR masks are applied to a cursor image. Later while working on the S3 Virge driver, I looked at the cursor code in some of the other Haiku video drivers and the x.org code, and came up with some simpler code for loading the cursor image which I also applied to the Savage driver. By the way, I have not yet submitted the Virge driver to the project.

Best regards,
Gerald