[haiku-development] Re: App idea: Multilaunch / workspace manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:22:28 +0100

Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Motivation: Workspaces are a good way to organize open windows so
> that those
> related to the same task end up together. This is supposed to reduce
> desktop
> clutter and provide a better work environment for the user. Haiku
> needs more
> tools to make workspaces easier to use and more powerful.
[...]

Most of this would already be solved by supporting session management.
Which is planned, but needs a bit more than an external application.

> Potential problems: AFAIK Haiku doesn't control initial positioning
> of
> windows (Which IMO it should, but I'll rant about that some other
> day) but
> maybe that could be solved using message passing.

I would really like to hear some good arguments for this. It may work
with MDI interfaces, but that's not really what you have in Haiku.
Also, the way it is implemented in, say, Ubuntu, is just annoying: you
never know where a new window will pop up. The only thing the system
almost always manages to do is to put the window in front of some other
window you don't want it to cover. Thanks, but no thanks.

Bye,
   Axel.