[haiku-development] Re: Another Package question :)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 10:34:39 +0200

On 12.09.2014 09:16, Ralf Schülke wrote:
Easy: the bootscript (/system/boot/bootscript) is run. You can read it
and see what it does. Compared to the usual UNIX init.d, it is a much
simpler, but less flexible, approach.

In the ~/config/settings/boot directory there is a way to add things to
be run at boot, maybe we should have something similar at the
system-wide level?

We could, but then we'd end up with something like the Unix init system. However, the Linux distributions didn't switch to systemd for no reason. It simply wasn't flexible and powerful enough.

yes i know,
the bootloader do some thing.
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/system/boot/loader
Kernel, Load Driver, Load V-FM, etc.
And a nice bootsrcript do the rest.
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/data/system/boot/Bootscript

Thats nice and modern, stuff he working from dark to light.

I think, that  is a "one more thing" that why haiku are so nice.

No, that is neither modern nor nice. It's just one more thing where Haiku is lacking. The startup requirements -- particularly dependencies between potentially optional components -- are complex even on a desktop system. A simple solution like a single startup script just leaves the burden of dealing with the complexities with the user. Besides, starting things on demand can't even be done that way.

CU, Ingo