[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:14:02 +0300

2012.04.03 20:59, John Scipione rašė:
Now that I've done all this work... I have to pose the question. Why
not just use Option/Win Key to get additional characters? Why do you
need the AltGr key in the first place? Since Option exists and is
mappable, why not just use it?
I'd say because a) there's no need for two AltGr's on the keyboard (even if
you call them Opt) and b) for system shortcuts (not sure why you want us to
forget them).
Why is there no need to have 2 AltGr's on your keyboard? One on the
left, one on the right just like Command and Control. Other than that
is not now it works on Windows, why not?

Other than that, I don't know. It's also a part of the ISO standard, I think, but that doesn't change a lot.
And as far as system
shortcuts go, I'm not convinced that we need to devote an entire key
to using them, we could easily implement them a different way.

<sarcasm>We already have a key devoted specifically for terminating commandline apps in Terminal, so why not have one for the system? :)</sarcasm>

Windows and Linux have another useful feature which Mac and Haiku don't: mnemonic access keys (e.g. Alt+F opens the File menu). Haiku could have something like that too, although both Windows and GNOME have made this feature less prominent in the recent releases by removing underlines from letters by default, which may indicate that it's not really used a lot...

Rimas