[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:59:02 -0400

>> Now that I've done all this work... I have to pose the question. Why
>> not just use Option/Win Key to get additional characters? Why do you
>> need the AltGr key in the first place? Since Option exists and is
>> mappable, why not just use it?
>
> I'd say because a) there's no need for two AltGr's on the keyboard (even if
> you call them Opt) and b) for system shortcuts (not sure why you want us to
> forget them).

Why is there no need to have 2 AltGr's on your keyboard? One on the
left, one on the right just like Command and Control. Other than that
is not now it works on Windows, why not? And as far as system
shortcuts go, I'm not convinced that we need to devote an entire key
to using them, we could easily implement them a different way.

John Scipione