[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:32:33 +0300

2012.04.02 00:42, John Scipione rašė:
On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Pete Goodeve<pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
There are no default Opt symbols!  I've grown used to having things like
the '£' sign available, but those vanish if I select American.
OTOH, with that I get two Ctrls, two Cmds, and two Opts, in places
that correspond to what I see on the physical K/B.
The American keymap is a US ASCII only keymap at this point. There are
no special keys defined. I am refactoring things now to support the
AltGr key for a while now. This brings up a good point though. If
option is reused for system wide shortcuts like Windows then how are
people without an AltGr key going to be able to access special keys?

What are special keys? I'll assume you meant special characters from now on.

The option layer seems like the logical choice, but, then conflicts
would happen between the option map and system shortcuts. Do we make
an exception for US-ASCII that the special keys going in option but in
other layouts with an AltGr key they go in AltGr?

To me there seems to be no solution other than to allow option to be
used for additional special key combos. At least in the US map. But
since this means we can't rely on those keys anymore we have to also
allow the option map to be used for special characters on the
International maps as well.

NO!

If you want special characters in the US keymap, you just add an AltGr key to it. As we've already figured out in this thread, the keyboard actually has tje right key with the right keycode, it's just marked as Alt.

However, I don't see why you want so hard to clutter the US keymap with characters that only a few percent of people will use. My position is that you should leave the US keymap without any special characters, and add AltGr key and the appropriate layers to the US international keymap. This way those who need the Pound character can go and choose International, and those who don't, will never notice.

Another option would be to add AltGr to the US keymap and clutter it, but then, what difference would there be between US and US international? None!

Rimas