[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 20:04:35 +0300

2012.04.06 17:54, Ryan Leavengood rašė:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>  wrote:

Anyhow I'm not sure if we should switch the default settings, but the
"Windows/Linux compatible mode" should work correctly, and I'm not
sure if how it works now is correct.

Even ignoring the obvious problem of Control still being a separate key, the Win/Lin mode not correct. It makes Control act as command, but Alt then acts as Control, not Option, and Win-key acts as Option/AltGr. I think the more correct way would be:
Control acts as Cmd
Win acts as Ctrl
Alt and AltGr act as Opt

For the same reason I'd suggest an optional Linux compatible mode in
Terminal.
Indeed. Though I will admit that the Haiku (and Mac) settings are much
better for the Terminal. I still find Ctrl-Alt-C and Ctrl-Alt-V to
copy and paste in the Gnome terminal quite cumbersome.

I think a sane alternative for Terminal would be to use Cmd+Alt+foo or Cmd+Shift+foo to enter Ctrl+foo escape sequences (that is, Cmd+Alt+C would produce ^C). This would not only free the Control key from being the "Terminal" key to something more universal (e.g. command), but would also allow to have identical shortcuts for Copy and paste among all apps. But I have a sad impression that Alt-as-Cmd is something like a holy cow in Haiku – untouchable. :( I think it's a bit silly for a GUI OS to favor consistency with UNIX terminal applications over that with Win/Lin, but I guess this is a minority view, right? :)

As for the global commands: I was wondering, how much are F1-F12 used in Haiku? Perhaps these 12 keys could be enough to cover all globally needed commands? Or are these reserved for Midnight Commander compatibility?

Rimas